Thursday, November 1, 2007

Oscar Martinez on "The Office"

Maria Elena Fernandez from the Los Angeles Times did a nice roundup today of Latino characters on primetime TV. I don't really watch any of the shows she mentions, since the only primetime show I watch regularly is The Office. However, that show could also have been included in the article for its non-stereotypical portrayal of a Latino (and a gay one, at that) - office accountant Oscar Martinez. Although his unwittingly racist boss Michael Scott implies that Oscar adheres to a number of Latino and gay stereotypes, he actual fits almost none of them. In the 13th episode of the third season, Oscar returns from an 11-episode hiatus and most of the show is dedicated to him. He and Michael have the following exchange (I unfortunately can't find a video clip of it because YouTube and NBC aren't getting along):
Oscar: We don’t even have to have a party…
Michael:
No, hey, hey, don’t be ridiculous. Of course we’re going to have a party – the celebration of Oscar. Oscar night! And I want it to be Oscar-specific.
Oscar:
Michael, I…
Michael:
No, no. I mean…not because you’re gay. Your gayness does not define you.
Oscar:
Thank you.
Michael:
Your Mexicaness is what defines you, to me, and I think we should celebrate Oscar’s Mexicanity. So Phyllis, I want you to go find firecrackers and a chihuahua. Pam, in the frozen food section, Swanson’s makes a delightful chimichanga.
Oscar:
Why don’t you have me riding in on a donkey?
Michael:
Ah, a burro. Of course, if Oscar wants a donkey, let’s get him one.
Although some people might argue that Oscar is performing a "white affect," others might say that all Latinos have different personalities, and I think it's a good thing that Oscar's ethnicity and sexual orientation aren't really the defining aspects of him for anyone on the show except Michael.

No comments: